Scientists discover key molecule in allergic response to dust mites
Scientists at The University of Nottingham have discovered a molecule that could offer the hope of new treatments for people allergic to the house dust mite. The team of immunologists in the University’s School of Molecular Medical Sciences have identified the molecule DC-SIGN which appears to play a role in damping down the body’s allergic response to the house dust mite. The molecule can be found on the surface of the immune cells which play a key role in the recognition of a major allergen from house dust mites called Der p 1, a leading cause of asthma in northern Europe. The recognition of the allergen by the immune system is thought to lead to increased sensitivity to allergens and the development of allergic symptoms.