This contest is closed.
Update: we have extended the deadline as the contest was over early and some users were not able to upload their research. So the final deadline is until the next Sunday.
The pulley is made up of two spaced cylindrical hubs with a number of wings extending radially from the hubs. The wings are generally oriented in V-shapes, and the convergence point of the V shapes generally corresponds to the direction of the pulley’s rotation.
The pulley’s V-shaped wing configuration is intended to laterally deflect debris (like sand and gravel) away from the pulley and its conveyor belt as the pulley spins.
When viewing the pulley’s hub straight-on, each wing connected to the hub is angled forward of a radius of the hub (see angle “C” below in relation to radius “B”) in the direction of the pulley’s rotation (see arrow “D” below).
|1||Is the reference either a U.S. Patent filed, a foreign patent published, or a non-patent document published or otherwise publicly available before October 31, 2007?||T/F|
|2||Does the reference show a pulley for a conveyor belt with two spaced hubs aligned along a common axis, each with a circumferential surface?||10|
|3||Are there a number of radially spaced wings oriented around the pulley?||10|
|4||Are the spaces between adjacent wings unobstructed at the first and second ends of the pulley?||10|
|5||Does the rotation of the pulley result in material in the space between adjacent wings being ejected out of the first and second ends of the pulley?||15|
|6||Are the wings V-shaped or otherwise angled at a non-zero angle?||25|
|7||Does each outer end of the wings have a lower edge positioned on a respective radial of the hub, and an upper edge angled forward of the respective radial in the intended direction of rotation of the pulley?||30|
Prior Art Search
This is a Prior Art Search contest aimed at determining if a patent idea was known and publicly available before a patent was filed.
- +5 bonus points will be awarded for non-patent literature such as user's manual or peer-reviewed papers
- +5 bonus points will be awarded for foreign language references.
This contest will close on Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 11:59 PM PT.
Please review the Contest Rules. For more information on how to submit to this Contest type, please read the Intro to Prior Art Search page.
- All work must be original and prepared by a single author
- Maximum of one entry per person allowed
- Maximum length of 1,500 words
- Entries must be in English
- Ideas should be clearly expressed at a college-educated, non-expert level
- All submissions are subject to Patexia's contest legal terms
- Failure to follow these rules may lead to disqualification from the contest
- "CEMA Standard 501.1 Specifications for ""Welded Steel Wing Pulleys"" Conveyor Equipment Manufacturers Association ANSI/CEMA 501.1-2003 (Revision of ANSI/CEMA 501.1-1988) (5 pgs.)."
- "CEMA publication ""Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials"" revisions 1 through 7 showing fabricated wing pulleys and lagged wing pulleys."
- "CEMA publication ""Bucket Elevator Book"" revision 1 showing wing type boot pulley and spiral wing pulley page 56 Slated Self Cleaning Pulley page 57 spiral wing pages 74&78&133&139&140 and others within."
- Van Gorp Catalog GC-04: Unit and Bulk Conveyor Pulleys (2004)
- Van Gorp literature about Extra Heavy Duty Wing Mine Duty Wing XT-reme Wing Turn-Clean Wing Spiral Wing Quarry Duty Wing Snap Back Wing CEMA Class Wing DB Wing Lagging Lightweight Slat Wing
- "Conveyor Components Inc. (CCI) advertising about Standard Wing Heavy Wing Mine Duty Wing Quarry Duty Wing Quarry Duty AR Wing Spiral Wing Eliminator ""Clean Out"" Screw Pulley"
- Dodge Baldor ABB advertising about Herringbone Wing Wing Pulley HE Heavy Duty Wing Pulley Taper-Lock Heavy Duty Wing Pulley QD Heavy Duty Wing Pulley Mine Duty Extra Wing Pulley Spiral Wing Pulleys Elevator Wing Pulley Wing-Lag
- American Pulley advertising Crown Wing Pulleys Spiral Wings Heavy Duty Wings Mine Duty Wings
- Assick from Canada advertising Welded Steel Wing Pulley Heavy Duty Wing Pulley AR400 Wing Pulley
- C&Y Industries from China advertising Wing Pulley and Spiral Wing Pulley
- The Chantland Company (now owned by PPI) advertising B.D. Series - Belt Savers(Wing Pulleys) Standard Wing Pulley
- Continental Conveyor & Machine Works Ltd in Canada advertising welded steel wing type self cleaning conveyor and elevator pulleys Lagged Wing Pulley Spiral Wing pulley Special Self Cleaning Pulley Boot Wing Pulley
- Douglas Manufacturing in Alabama advertising Wing Pulley Standard Heavy Duty Wing Self-Cleaning Pulleys Spiral Wing Pulley Mill Duty Wing Mine Duty Wing Mine Duty Extreme Quarry Duty Wing Vortex Spiral Clean Pulley
- Hewitt-Robins Conveyor Components advertising Welded Steel Wing Pulleys Spiral Wing Pulleys Lagged Wing Pulleys
- Continental Conveyor & Equipment Co. in Alabama advertising Standard CEMA Duty Wing Pulley Welded Steel Wing Pulleys
- Luff Industries Ltd. In Canada advertising Wing Pulleys Spiral Wing Pulleys Helix Pulley
- Martin Sprocket advertising Standard Wing Pulleys Mine Duty Wing Pulleys Quarry Duty Wing Pulleys Quarry Duty AR Pulleys Spiral Wing Pulleys DSP Wing Pulleys Clean Flight Wing Pulley
- PCI ProCal Inc. in Alpena Michigan advertising The Eradicator Wing Pulley Heavy Duty Wing Mine Duty Wing Spiral Wing
- Stephens Adamson an Allis-Chalmers Co. advertising wing type pulleys
- Superior Industries advertising Wing Pulley Lagged Wing Pulley Mine Duty Wing Pulley