We request previously undiscovered prior art including products, patents and especially non-patent literature which can help invalidate claims 38-41 of US patent RE40,027 (‘027) - “Flashlights and other battery-powered apparatus for holding and energizing transducers.” The patent describes a flashlight, light source, or similar device with a variety of features.
In particular we are interested in finding light sources with two lamps/bulbs pointing in the same general direction and sharing a single concave reflector, similar to that pictured in Fig. 1. One lamp/bulb should be at the focal point of the concave reflector (as in a normal single-source flashlight) and the second should protrude through the reflector’s surface.
UPDATE (1/25/2013): Note that we're looking for a source where the second bulb/lamp (NOT that at the focal point) has a refractive lens attached to the bulb itself (question 6). Refraction is a change in direction of light passing into a medium, so the lens attached to the second bulb should change the direction of of the light coming from that bulb.
Non-patent literature can include, for example: advertisements, product documentation, technical descriptions, items in a museum or personal collection, videos or photographs of a device with these features, etc. Submissions may be documents in English or in a foreign language published in any country before November 24, 1991, or evidence of devices used or sold publicly in the United States before November 24, 1991.
Fig. 1 -- Example light source (flashlight) cutaway
Fig. 2 -- Light source housing detail cutaway
If you are new, see patent and prior art basics and tips for Patexia's prior art contests, and refer to the submission notes below. The following questions will help you understand specifically what we are looking for in this study. To be eligible for the full prize, entries must satisfy all 11 questions. If no user responds to all 11 questions, entries responding to at least questions 1-5 will be considered for a partial reward.
- Was the reference published in any country before November 24, 1991, or, if it is a device, was it in use or sold in the United States, before November 24, 1991 (clearly dated)?
- Does it disclose an electric light source with two bulbs/lamps sharing a single reflector?
- Is the first bulb/lamp at the focal point of the reflector?
- Is the second bulb/lamp positioned to the side of the first bulb/lamp?
- Does the second bulb/lamp protrude through the surface of the reflector (as in Fig. 2)?
- Does this second bulb/lamp have a refractive lens attached?
- Do the two bulbs/lamps point in a generally similar direction?
- Does the light source have a battery?
- Does the light source have a single switch to control the two bulbs/lamps where the switch illuminates either the first or the second bulb/lamp (or both) depending on its position?
- Are the reflector and two bulbs/lamps contained within a moveable housing?
- Is the moveable housing attached to the switching mechanism?
|1||Was the reference published in any country before November 24, 1991, or, if it is a device, was it in use or sold in the United States, before November 24, 1991 (clearly dated)?||0|
|2||Does it disclose an electric light source with two bulbs/lamps sharing a single reflector?||0|
|3||Is the first bulb/lamp at the focal point of the reflector?||0|
|4||Is the second bulb/lamp positioned to the side of the first bulb/lamp?||0|
|5||Does the second bulb/lamp protrude through the surface of the reflector (as in Fig. 2)?||0|
|6||Does this second bulb/lamp have a refractive lens attached?||0|
|7||Do the two bulbs/lamps point in a generally similar direction?||0|
|8||Does the light source have a battery?||0|
|9||Does the light source have a single switch to control the two bulbs/lamps where the switch illuminates either the first or the second bulb/lamp (or both) depending on its position?||0|
|10||Are the reflector and two bulbs/lamps contained within a moveable housing?||0|
|11||Is the moveable housing attached to the switching mechanism?||0|
- Submission deadline is February 12, 2013.
- All work must be prepared by a single researcher.
- Maximum of one entry per person allowed.
- If you were referred, the referral prize ($500) will be paid to the referring user from the total prize pool of $5,000.
- The contest winner will be the first user to successfully answer "yes" to all the questions above. If no winner is selected based on this criterion, the user who first answers the most questions beyond questions 1-5 will be selected for a partial reward.
- Entries must be in English.
- Please make sure to answer all the questions and clearly explain how the reference supports each question.
- In case you are submitting foreign references, please provide a translation of key sections.
- If your reference has already been submitted by another researcher before you or is among the known references, it will not be considered for the contest.
- Please use "Ask a Question" to post general questions or feedback about the contest to the community.
- For specific questions, you can contact us directly by email at email@example.com.
- All submissions are subject to Patexia's contest legal terms. Failure to follow these rules may lead to disqualification from the contest.
- US 1403538 Burgess 1/1922
- US 1423911 Cardwell 7/1922
- US 1433570 Stimson 10/1922
- US 1603272 Eaton 10/1926
- US 1661784 Blake 3/1928
- US 1669292 Eckstein 5/1928
- US 1671623 Barany 5/1928
- US 1674650 Leser 6/1928
- US 1680169 Osean 8/1928
- US 1680188 Weber 8/1928
- US 1781064 Jones 11/1930
- US 1823762 Rathmann 9/1931
- US 1955511 Muros 4/1934
- US 2016819 Meginniss 10/1935
- US 2020352 Bolduc 11/1935
- US 2097222 Spender et al. 10/1937
- US 2125038 Holihan et al. 7/1938
- US 2176084 Lennan 10/1939
- US 2225936 Williams 12/1940
- US 2245707 Packer 6/1941
- US 2255291 Larson 9/1941
- US 2259106 Hager 10/1941
- US 2338078 Wood 12/1943
- US 2339356 Sachs 1/1944
- US 2385639 Packer et al. 9/1945
- US 2439496 Szantay 4/1948
- US 2461118 Lippincott 2/1949
- US 2490830 Norton 12/1949
- US 2503287 Moore 4/1950
- US 2518437 Amstutz 8/1950
- US 2520023 Allen 8/1950
- US 2530913 Shackel 11/1950
- US 2599295 Thomas 6/1952
- US 2769896 Lambert 11/1956
- US 2797309 Dulberg 6/1957
- US 2830280 Webber 4/1958
- US 2852632 Garland 9/1958
- US 2852633 Garland 9/1958
- US 2876410 Fry 3/1959
- US 2897345 Meager et al. 7/1959
- US 2915621 Garland 12/1959
- US 2931005 Saurwein et al. 3/1960
- US 2945944 Flowers 7/1960
- US 3014125 Draudt 12/1961
- US 3111277 Grimsley 11/1963
- US 3226538 Bustamante 12/1965
- US 3250911 Oldenburger 5/1966
- US 3521050 Shagena, Jr. 9/1970
- US 3701862 Vignini 10/1972
- US 3717759 Rousseau 2/1973
- US 3798440 Brindley 3/1974
- US 3825740 Friedman et al. 7/1974
- US 3835272 Wisenbaker 9/1974
- US 3924116 Brindley 12/1975
- US 3924117 Brindley 12/1975
- RE 29047 Brindley 11/1976
- US 4092580 Prinsze 5/1978
- US 4135230 Armbruster 1/1979
- US 4151583 Miller 4/1979
- US 4171534 Strowe 10/1979
- US 4203150 Schamlian 5/1980
- US 4234913 Ramme 11/1980
- US 4244011 Hammel et al. 1/1981
- US 4261026 Bolha 4/1981
- US 4281368 Humbert 7/1981
- US 4286311 Maglica 8/1981
- D263170 Maglica 2/1982
- US 4327401 Siiberg 4/1982
- US 4329740 Colvin 5/1982
- US 4345304 Penney et al. 8/1982
- US 4337648 Nelson 11/1982
- US 4388673 Maglica 6/1983
- US 4398139 Prinsze 8/1981
- US 4398238 Nelson 8/1983
- US 4429351 Petzl et al. 1/1984
- US 4441142 Garofalo 4/1984
- US 4463283 Penney et al. 7/1984
- US 4472766 Hung 9/1984
- US 4495551 Foltz 1/1985
- US 4502102 Phipps 2/1985
- US 4514790 Will 4/1985
- US 4572223 Maglica 7/1985
- US 4530034 Kawarada 7/1985
- US 4531178 Uke 7/1985
- US 4577263 Maglica 3/1986
- US 4581686 Nelson 4/1986
- US 4605993 Zelina, Jr. 8/1986
- US 4640258 Penney et al. 2/1987
- US 4656565 Maglica 4/1987
- US 4658336 Maglica 4/1987
- US 4725932 Gammache 2/1988
- US 4733337 Bieberstein 3/1988
- US 4760504 Schaller et al. 7/1988
- D297828 Bromley et al. 9/1988
- US 4777582 Sharrah 10/988
- D298748 Sharrah et al. 11/1988
- US 4783725 Schaller et al. 11/1988
- US 4788633 Zimermann et al. 11/988
- US 4803605 Schaller et al. 2/1989
- US 4819141 Maglica et al. 4/1989
- US 4823242 Maglica et al. 4/1989
- US 4825345 Stevens 4/1989
- US 4841417 Maglica et al. 6/1989
- US 4843298 Brauch et al. 6/1989
- US 4851974 Maglica 7/1989
- D303107 Maglica et al. 8/1989
- US 4864474 Maglica 9/1989
- US 4876416 Frantz et al. 10/1989
- US 4885668 Maglica et al. 12/1989
- US 4888670 Sharrah 12/1989
- US 4899265 Maglica 2/1990
- US D306492 Sharrah 3/1990
- US D307488 Sharrah 4/1990
- US 4914555 Gammache 4/1990
- US D308109 Maglica et al. 5/1990
- US 4942505 Maglica 7/1990
- US D310425 Sharrah 11/1990
- US 4956755 Maglica et al. 9/1990
- US D312509 Sharrah et al. 3/1992
- US 511326 Maglica 9/1992
- US 5158358 Maglica et al. 10/1992
- US 5161095 Gammache 11/1992
- US 5171086 Baloochi 12/1992
- US 5203624 Shrier et al. 4/1993
- US 5359779 Polk et al. 11/1994
- US 542798 Osiecki et al. 6/1995
- FR 1271830 8/1961
- FR 1430456 1/1966
- FR 1430546 1/1966
- FR 2372382 6/1987
- GB 411218 6/1934
- GB 555910 9/1943
- GB 586357 3/1947
- GB 752619 7/1956
- AU 138873 4/1984
- US Pat. No. 1214583 AUTOMOBILE LAMP
- US Pat. No. 1226325 PROJECTING-LAMP
- US Pat. No. 1448352 FLASH LIGHT
- US Pat. No. 1559930 AUTOMOBILE HEADLIGHT
- US Pat. No. 1889936 ELECTRIC FLASH LIGHT
- US Pat. No. 1946059 FLASH LIGHT
- US Pat. No. 4048631 PORTABLE VARIABLE INTENSITY SIGNALLING FLASHLIGHT
- US Pat. No. 4293900 LUMINAIRE REFLECTOR
- US Pat. No. 4302698 DUAL-FILAMENT HALOGEN INCANDESCENT LAMP, PARTICULARLY SEALED-BEAM, AUTOMOTIVE HEADLIGHT
- US Pat. No. 4348715 LIGHTED TOOL HOLDER
- US Pat. No. 4502103 LIGHT WITH MOUNT FOR PLURAL LAMP BULBS
- US Pat. No. 4617619 REFLECTOR FOR MULTIPLE SOURCE LIGHTING FIXTURE
- US Pat. No. 4713736 MULTIPLE COLOR LAMP
- US Pat. No. 4755916 COMBINED FLOOD AND SPOT LIGHT
- US Pat. No. 4788633 DEVICE WITH COMPOSITE REFLECTOR
- US Pat. No. 4855647 FLASHLIGHT WITH SOFT TURN ON CONTROL
- US Pat. No. 4949231 VARIABLE LIGHT BEAM FLASHLIGHT
- US Pat. No. 4951180 LAMP REFLECTORS
- US Pat. No. 5077644 REFLECTOR FOR HAND HELD FLASHLIGHT
- US Pat. No. 5117341 MULTI-FUNCTION FLASHLIGHT
- US Pat. No. 5161879 FLASHLIGHT FOR COVERT APPLICATIONS
- US Pat. No. 5197798 LIGHTING APPARATUS
- US Pat. No. 5280799 UMBRELLA WITH TWO-WAY FLASHLIGHT
- US Pat. No. 5629105 FLASHLIGHTS AND OTHER BATTERY-POWERED APPARATUS FOR HOLDING AND ENERGIZING TRANSDUCERS
- US Pat. No. 3825740 RECHARGEABLE FLASHLIGHT AND SUPPORT STAND THEREFOR
- US Pat. No. 3944761 ROTARY SWITCH
- US Pat. No. 7722209 FLASHLIGHT WITH SELECTABLE OUTPUT LEVEL SWITCHING
- US Pat. No. 6877876 VARIABLE BEAM ILLUMINATION DEVICE
- US Pat. No. 8096674 LIGHTING DEVICE WITH SELECTABLE OUTPUT LEVEL SWITCHING
- US Pat. No. 6994449 FLASHLIGHT WITH SECUREMENT CAPABILITY
- US Pat. No. 8148912 LIGHTING DEVICE WITH STAGGERED LIGHT SOURCES RESPONSIVE TO A SINGLE USER CONTROL
- US Pat. No. 6249089 INTELLIGENT ELECTRICAL DEVICE COMPRISING MICROCHIP
- US Pat. No. 6388390 FLASHLIGHT
- US Pat. No. 3965320 PUSH BUTTON SWITCH
- US Pat. No. 6181067 PORTABLE LIGHTING PRODUCT, A PORTABLE LIGHT PRODUCT CIRCUIT
- AND A FUNCTIONING METHOD FOR A PORTABLE LIGHTING PRODUCT CIRCUIT
- US Pat. No. 6585391 FLASHLIGHT AND FLASHLIGHT ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS
- US Pat. No. 6386730 DUAL REFLECTOR, RECHARGEABLE, AND CRASH-SECURED FLASHLIGHTS
- US Pat. No. 7344270 FLASHLIGHT WITH INCREMENTING BRIGHTNESS SELECTOR SWITCH
- US Pat. No. 5642932 COMBAT-ORIENTED FLASHLIGHT
- US Pat. No. 4905129 FLASHLIGHT WITH TAIL CAP SWITCH
- US Pat. No. 5180050 PUSHBUTTON ROTARY SWITCH
- US Pat. No. 2256641 ROTARY SWITCH
- US Pat. No. 5091611 SWITCH FOR PORTABLE LIGHT SOURCE
- US Pat. No. 4733337 MINIATURE FLASHLIGHT
- US Pat. No. RE40125 BATTERY OPERATED APPLIANCE, FLASHLIGHT AND SWITCHING SYSTEMS
- US Pat. No. 4907141 MINIATURE FLASHLIGHT
- All work must be original and prepared by a single author
- Maximum of one entry per person allowed
- Maximum length of 1,500 words
- Entries must be in English
- Ideas should be clearly expressed at a college-educated, non-expert level
- All submissions are subject to Patexia's contest legal terms
- Failure to follow these rules may lead to disqualification from the contest