This contest is closed.
Patexia is looking for descriptions for a USB peripheral device that can reconfigure itself based a configuration it downloads from a host computer without physically disconnecting the device.
Submitted documents describing this system must be:
- filed or published before 07/02/1997
- not on the known references list
The entire submission must describe a reconfiguration process with the following steps:
- USB peripheral device connects to a host computer using a default configuration
- USB peripheral device downloads a new configuration from the host computer
- USB peripheral device electronically simulates a disconnect/reconnect cycle without requiring a physical disconnect/reconnect
- USB peripheral device connects to the host computer using the new configuration
Figure 8. Flowchart showing the reconfiguration process.
Contest icon by Anbileru Adaleru from the Noun Project.
|1||Is the reference either a US patent filed, US application published, a foreign patent published, or a non-patent document published before July 2nd, 1997?||T/F|
|2||Is the date that was submitted in question 1 before October 16th, 1996?||10|
|3||Does the reference show a peripheral device that connects to a computer and when plugged in and operating switches from (a) an initial default configuration to (b) a different configuration?||25|
|4||Does the reference show that after being connected using the (a) initial default configuration, the peripheral device has circuitry that downloads the (b) different configuration from the host computer?||20|
|5||Does the reference show that when the switchover occurs, the peripheral device uses another circuit that electrically simulates a disconnect/reconnect cycle to allow the device to switch over to the new configuration?||25|
|6||(4a) Does the reference further show that this electronic simulation is specifically designed to avoid requiring the user to physically disconnect and reconnect the peripheral device?||10|
|7||Does the reference show that the peripheral device disconnects and reconnects to the host computer without cycling power on the peripheral device?||10|
This is a Prior Art Search contest aimed at determining if a patent idea was known and publicly available before a patent was filed.
+5 bonus points will be awarded for non-patent literature and for foreign language references.
This contest will close on Sunday, September 20th, 2015 at 11:59 PM PST.
Please review the Contest Rules. For more information on how to submit to this Contest type, please read the Intro to Prior Art Search page.
- All work must be original and prepared by a single author
- Maximum of one entry per person allowed
- Maximum length of 1,500 words
- Entries must be in English
- Ideas should be clearly expressed at a college-educated, non-expert level
- All submissions are subject to Patexia's contest legal terms
- Failure to follow these rules may lead to disqualification from the contest
- PCCextend 100 User's Manual
- USB 1.0 spec
- PCMCIA PC Card release
- PCMCIA Card Services Specification
- PCMCIA Primer (Levine)
- USB: A Neat Package with a Few Loose Ends (Quinnell)