This contest is closed.
Patexia is looking for descriptions of a system where a customer can login to a business’s web server to view and modify their customer information and subscribed services.
Submitted documents describing this system must be:
- published before 07/24/1996 or a system in use before 07/24/1996
- not a patent document
- not on the known references list
The entire submission should, in the same document or in a second document, describe a system that uses a front-end server where:
- the customer connects to the front end server over the Internet
- the customer is shown their information and available services
- the customer is allowed to submit a modification request the information and available services through the front-end server
- the modification request is remotely processed by the telecommunications service provider
- the customer is notified by the server front-end a verification of the modifications made to the customer’s information and available services
This contest is for a prior art search for US Patent 6,115,737 (‘737), with a focus on claims 7, 8, 9, and 14 in the context of allowing customers of a telecommunications service provider to view and modify their services over the Internet, or entirely within an intranet or closed network.
Contest icon from Clayton Johnson used under CC BY 3.0 US.
|1||Is the reference a non-patent document published before July 24th, 1996 or a document that describes a publicly used system that was in use before July 24th, 1996?||T/F|
|2||Does the reference describe allowing a customer to modify their services and customer data for a telecommunications service provider by connecting to a server front-end?||20|
|3||Does this system allow the customer to establish a connection over the Internet between the customer’s computer and the front-end server, and display information and services available tailored to that customer?||20|
|4||Does this system allow the customer to request a modification of the displayed information and services available through this front-end server connection?||25|
|5||Does the system then remotely process this modification request, and use the front-end server to show the customer a verification of any modifications made?||25|
|6||Does this system, alternatively, occur through an intranet or closed network?||10|
This is a Prior Art Search contest aimed at determining if a patent idea was known and publicly available before a patent was filed.
+5 bonus points will be awarded for for foreign language references.
This contest has been extended to Sunday, February 15th, 2015 at 11:59 PM PST and is subject to modified prize distribution awards:
- the top submission will be designated as a winner and receive $3,000
- the next scored 2 submissions will be designated as winners and receive $500 each
- the next scored submissions (to a maximum of 10) will be designated as runners up and receive a minimum of $100 each
- All work must be original and prepared by a single author
- Maximum of one entry per person allowed
- Maximum length of 1,500 words
- Entries must be in English
- Ideas should be clearly expressed at a college-educated, non-expert level
- All submissions are subject to Patexia's contest legal terms
- Failure to follow these rules may lead to disqualification from the contest
- The World-wide Web and Programming Future Broadband Network and Service Management Applications. Author: J. Reilly. Publication: May 1996
- America Online. The online service and database management system associated with American Online.
- Andrew (Carnegie Mellon). The file-sharing system implemented at Carnegie Mellon that allowed users to access their data files from various network location.
- How To Use America Online. Second Edition. Author: Elaine Madison. Illustrated by: Sarah Ishida. Published: 1995
- CompuServe Information Service
- "Project Athena. Campus-wide computer network at MIT. Including Kerberos
- "Datacoms in brief. Publication Title: Network Briefing. Publisher: ComputerWire
- "Informix Offers Worldwide Online Support Via Internet. Publication Title: Newsbytes News Network. Publisher: Washingtonpost Newsweek Interactive. Published: Jan. 31
- "Internet Homebanking Service From Bank of America Uses Netscape Client and Server Software. Publication Title: PR Newswire. Publisher: PR Newswire Association LLC. Published: July 23
- "World Wide Web Links Now Available On AT&T Interchange Online Network. Publication Title: PR Newswire. Publisher: PR Newswire Association LLC. Published: Oct. 9
- "Compuserve Network Services Links Small Business Banking Customers to Wells Fargo Customer Intranet. Publication Title: PR Newswire. Publisher: PR Newswire Association LLC. Published: July 23
- "Web Warriors Redefine the Street. Publication Title: Wall Street & Technology. Publisher: CMP Media
- "Edify Corp. Announces Fully Integrated Software Application for Web Banking; Edify Expands Product Line with New Electronic Banking Solution. Publication Title: Business Wire. Publisher: Business Wire. Published: May 20
- "Astea International to Provide Links to Field Service Operations via World Wide Web; Innovative Web Strategy Redefines the Way Organizations Serve Their Customers. Publication Title: Business Wire. Publisher: Business Wire. Published: June 4
- "Internet Access: AT&T Integrates Intranet Capabilities into AT&T WorldNet Service. Publication Title: EDGE
- "Varian Associates. Publication Title: Electronic News (1991). Publisher: Reed Business Information
- "IBM Embraces Internet. Publication Title: MIDRANGE Systems. Publisher: 1105 Media
- "MCI: MCI Evolves Corporate Web Site Into a Lean
- "NetBill: an Internet Commerce System Optimized for Network-Delivered Services. Authors: Marvin A. Sirbu; J.D. Tygar. IEEE Personal Communications